"Let the Children Come to Me"





 Then Jesus called for the children and said to the disciples, “Let the children come to Me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children.” Luke 18:16

God has not forgotten our youth. In fact, He is calling them to come to Him. He desires to have a real personal relationship with children and teenagers. He wants them to know that He is always there for them.  God will never leave or forsake our children despite what they are going through. 

When God spoke to my heart to reach this generation's youth with the message of Prayer,  I had just finished my first book. I was excited about starting on the next one, not knowing that I would be writing to teens. I had just finished raising my own two children, and had just become a grandmother, and besides that I had worked as a teacher/leader in Children's Ministry for over 15 years. I had no idea that God would give me the assignment of writing a book on prayer for teens. But the heart of God has always been and will always be towards children, and He has always included them in His plan. 

As Moses was preparing Joshua (a next generation leader) to take his place in leading the Israel, he said, "when all Israel comes to appear before the Lord your God in the place which He chooses, you shall read the law before all Israel in their hearing. Gather the people together, men and women and the little ones...that they may hear and that they may learn to fear the Lord your God and carefully observe all the words of this law, and that their children, who have not known it, may hear and learn to fear the Lord your God as long as you live in the land which you cross the Jordan to possess." Deuteronomy 32:11-13 (bold emphasis are my own).

It’s one thing for parents to pray for their children, and it’s another to teach them how to pray and have a real relationship with God. I dare to think of what would become of the next generation if we fail to pass on a legacy of prayer and the word of God. I love what E.M. Bounds had to say. He is one of my favorite authors on prayer:

“Woe to the generation of sons who find their own censers empty of the rich incense of prayer, whose fathers have been too busy or too unbelieving to pray, and who have inexpressible perils and untold consequences for their heritage! They whose fathers and mothers have left them a wealthy legacy of prayer are very fortunate, indeed.” E.M. Bounds 
E.M. Bounds on Prayer, Whitaker House

Now that both of my children are adults, living on their own and making life-changing decisions that effect not only their future, but the future of generations to come, I am so thankful that I had the wisdom of God to take my children by the hand and bring them alongside me in prayer. I didn't just pray for them, or tell them to go and pray. I prayed with them, and taught them how to pray and study the word of God.

The youth of today are facing tremendous challenges and battling real demons that threaten to destroy them and stop them from fulfilling their purpose in life. I remember all to well the battles I faced as I was growing up. It was my relationship with God, and daily fellowship with Him that literally saved my life! In my new book Come I talked about the day when I was tempted to commit suicide, until I heard the voice of the Lord gently speaking to my heart...Through my book, God has graced me to connect with the next generation, and lead them into a lifestyle of prayer. Come is a great resource for Middle School and High School aged kids, Youth Pastors and Leaders, and Parents, or anyone who works with children or teens.  For more information about Come, please visit my website at KathyRGreen.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment