How Does God Get Your Attention?

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with Me."  Rev 3:20 NIV


I love the way God uses practical things that we can relate to to teach us spiritual things.  This morning as I was setting the atmosphere for prayer, I was listening to some of my favorite worship music.  As I listened carefully I could hear the beautiful sound of the drums tapping lightly in background.  If I had not been listening carefully I probably wouldn't have noticed, but the sound was so gentle and sweet that it was as if God was ever so lightly tapping on my heart.


When we spend time with the Lord on a regular basis our ears are more in tune to His voice.  All He has to do is lightly tap on our heart to draw us to spend time with Him.  But if we're in a season of prayerlessness and we're not listening or expecting Him, He has to go from a gentle tap to a loud knock to get our attention.  Earlier this year I wrote a post about an experience I had when God wanted to get my attention. It's called I heard a loud knock and I would encourage you to take a minute to read it.  I know it will bless you.


As I was thinking about this tapping verses knocking that God uses to get our attention, I was reminded of what happens when my daughter Emonne comes over to spend time with me.  If I'm expecting her, my ears are tuned up as I anticipate her arrival.  During those times all she has to do is tap lightly and I go immediately to open the door, and when I'm really excited to spend time with her I'll even run to the door.  While on the other hand there have been times when I wasn't expecting her and she had to knock loudly and consistently before I realized that she was there because I was busy engrossed in other things at the time.


Here are four simple steps to help you to become more sensitive to the Holy Spirit as He draws you into prayer.
  • Reduce the noise level in your life. Eliminate excessive phone conversations, news, radio, television.
  • Be alert and in expectancy.  
  • Listen with your heart, keeping your spiritual ears in tune for His voice. 
  • Promptly respond when He draws you. Don't keep God waiting or put Him off until a more opportune time.
There are times when life can get overwhelmingly busy and hectic, but if we push aside the cares of this world and quickly respond when the Holy Spirit draws us, we'll be amazed by what awaits us in the realm of prayer.  I've learned to respond quickly to see what  God has in store for our time together.  But when I failed to respond I inevitably missed out of what God had for me at that particular time.        


What does it take for God to get your attention?  Does He have to knock loudly and consistently to get you to respond, or can He capture your attention with a gentle tap at the door of your heart?  Feel free to share ways that God has drawn you into prayer.    

4 comments:

  1. "HELP". I have struggled with "consistancy" all my life, even though I have been a christian since 1973..I have still struggled with meeting God daily. Recently 2 of my daughters died, the first one died in November after giveing birth to twins she was only 34 , my other daughter died in March after a 2 yr battle with cancer she was 38, then my other daughter said God was trying to get my attention and He would do anything to get it?? She has cut me off and will not speak to me. Because I spoke against my son inlaw who was being cruel to my daughter who had cancer she said i've sinned and God is allowing all this because of my sin. OK He has my attention?? but I'm not really sure He did all this to get it? Can anyone enlighten me. I have sought Him and what I hear is "TRUST"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, First of all it saddens my heart to hear that you've lost two of your daughters, and the other daughter is fighting for her health. If you have sought the Lord and He says TRUST, then that is what you need to do. When we learn how to trust God even when we don't understand what's going on or why He has allowed certain things to happen, then we are really learning how to lean on God. This is what walking with God is all about. It's a journey of trust. Just the fact that you're seeking God says so much about you. I commend you for not walking away from God and for not blaming Him for your sorrow. That is what many do in situations such as yours. God has been with you through it all. He I am praying for you and your daughter's relationship, and for her healing.

    Don't be under condemnation about being consistent. God is more interested in your heart. Psalm 66:18, 19 tells us, If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me; But certainly God has heard me; He has given heed to the voice of my prayer.

    Please continue to trust God and walk in love and forgiveness. Don't let sorrow, fear, disappointment, unforgiveness or anything else come between you and God. God DID NOT cause these things to happen but He did allow them. Humbly stay before God in prayer and allow Him to speak to your heart. Pray and ask Him to reveal any hidden sins of the heart that could be an open door to the enemy.

    Thank you for reaching out and leaving a comment. I'm happy you've found my blog. I trust that something I've shared will minister strength and comfort to you. I'll be praying for you.

    In His Love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking your time to write this. I really needed this right now. God bless you kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. hxjd. Thank you for taking time to read the post, and leave a comment. I appreciate that. I'm so glad you were blessed by it. Please visit again or follow for more valuable insights in the realm of prayer. May God bless and keep you!

    ReplyDelete