I Heard A Loud Knock

One afternoon while laying down taking a short nap, I was suddenly awakened by a loud knock. It was the kind of persistent knocking that tells you the person is not going to go away easily.  The knock actually startled me because I couldn’t imagine who would have been knocking so hard. I wasn’t expecting anyone, especially in the middle of the afternoon. I jumped up and went to the front door of my house only to discover that no one was there.  Now I’m sure you may be thinking, “Oh, you were just dreaming.” But remember, it wasn’t what I saw but what I heard.


When I saw no one there I instantly had the awareness that the knocking I heard was actually the Lord knocking loudly and persistently at the door of my heart. Why did this happen? Because He wanted to spend time fellowshipping with me in prayer. This experience was not a one time experience but it happened three or four times over the years. And each time it has been during seasons of prayerlessness, when I wasn’t consistently seeking Him.  I had allowed other things to creep in and override my priority of spending time in prayer.

Jesus said, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.” Revelation 3:20

When He desperately wants to spend time with us, God will persistently knock at the door of our hearts to draw us to Himself. How we respond is up to us. If we hear His voice and open the door to Him, He has promised to come in and dine with us, and we with Him. Wow! How would you like to sit down at a meal and have God’s undivided attention and ear, and actually have a conversation with Him? That’s what prayer is. We have the awesome privilege to experience this kind of sweet fellowship whenever we desire as we spend time with Him in prayer.  Is God knocking at the door of your heart?

Blessings,

Kathy R. Green

No comments:

Post a Comment