Guest Blog Post: The Two Most Important Questions to Ask God in Prayer

Posted By: Emonne Markland at BeautyMarkedMom

Throughout life, we all have questions. Some that can be and are answered, and some that cannot and are not. In the secret place, we seek answers to life’s questions as we pour out our deepest emotions and thoughts to the Lord. This year, I have discovered two specific questions to be in the forefront of my mind. I find myself asking them of the Lord daily in prayer, excited for His response and expectant for greater understanding and revelation. In my opinion, no matter what stage of life you are in, these are the two most important questions that we can ask God in prayer. And not only that, He is the only person that will ever be able to answer them fully, correctly and profoundly. The questions are: Who are You? and Who am I?

Who are You?
God as our Creator and Father deeply desires to reveal Himself to us. “In the beginning God created...” are the first 5 words of the Bible. Through His creation in the world around us, God reveals Himself as the Creator (the Elohim- meaning “Mighty Creator” in Hebrew) to those who have eyes to see and ears to hear. This in itself is profound when you really think about it because it is a reminder to us that not only is the beautiful world around us a reflection of His nature and beauty, but we as His most wonderful creation are a direct reflection of His image and likeness! Wow! 
As our Creator, He wants us to know Him. He desires an intimate relationship with us that can only be developed through salvation and prayer. God sent Jesus, the Word in flesh, to reveal Himself to us in whole new way and to destroy the veil of separation that kept all people from an intimate relationship with and understanding of God. In the old testament, only some people had a close relationship with the Lord and were able to go into the Holy of Holies where He dwelt. Now, through grace and faith in Jesus, and because of the Blood that was shed for us, the eyes of our understanding can be enlightened and we can all know the Lord! God didn’t just send Jesus to die on the cross and rise again just for our sins to be forgiven and us to go to heaven, but for us to KNOW Him and through knowing Him and spending time with Him become more like Him! 
In the Hebrew, there are 26 different names of God that are mentioned in scripture. In Revelation, the heavenly creatures at the throne of God cry “Holy, holy holy! Lord, God, Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!”. The Bible contains 66 books that all reveal something different about God. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, the three persons of the trinity, divinely express and personify God in three unique ways. As you can see, there is so much to discover about God and who He is. But did you now that right here, right now, you can ask Him to reveal Himself to you? You can ask Him to show you who He is today? My prayer is that you will take the time to ask Him this simple question today and receive a rhema (right now) word from Him and understand Him in a way that you never have before.

Who am I ?

The second question that we all must know the answer to as God’s creation is “Who am I?” I have received some of the most life-changing answers from the Lord when I have asked this simple question. You see, no one understands you like your Creator. Not you, not your mother, not your father, not your spouse, no one. Just like no one understands a work of art like the artist whom created it! People may visit the art museum or gallery and discuss their interpretation of the art, but only the artist fully knows and understands the true meaning of and purpose for the work of art. In Psalm 139:1-6, David reflects on God’s perfect knowledge of man: 
“O, Lord, You have searched me and know me. You know my siting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O Lord, You know it altogether. You have hedged me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it.”
Without an understanding of ourselves from the One who created us, we can spend years living a life outside of His perfect plan and purpose. We can define ourselves by the interpretation that others have of us instead of knowing who we are in Christ as God’s creation. John 8:32 tells us “And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.” Not only will the truth of the Gospel set your soul free from sin, but the truth of who you really are in God’s eyes will set you free from the opinion of others! Or even yourself! Maybe you’ve had low self-esteem and feel unworthy because of mistakes from your past. The lens through which you see life and yourself has become fogged by negative words and actions. Oh, my friend, today, that lens can be wiped clean as you receive the truth about who you are and how God sees you. You can look through His lens! And when you know the truth, there is freedom and power available for you to walk in that no power of the enemy can withstand.  

Today, right where you’re at, take a moment to pray this simple prayer and expect Him to show up in a mighty way: 

Lord,
Who are You? I don’t want to know you through the lens of my pastor, family members or friends; I want to know you for myself. Who are You to me? Reveal yourself to me in a special way today. Show me Your majesty. Also, who am I to You? Who am I today, right here, right now? Unveil my purpose to me today. Reveal to me something about myself that I’ve never known. Thank you for creating me for a purpose and help me to see myself the way You see me.
In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

I encourage you to leave comments below and share what God is speaking to you and what you’ve received from this post. Thank you so much for reading and I pray that this message ministers to you as much as it has ministered to me as I’ve written it. And before you go, I highly recommend that you take some time today, or over the weekend, to read through these passages of scripture during your prayer time. In them you will be enlightened and encouraged as the Lord reveals Himself and His creation to you through His Word.
Take a moment to write the following scriptures down in your prayer journal:

Scriptures for reflection:
Revelation 4: Take a glimpse into the throne room of heaven
Genesis 1, 2: Rediscover God as Elohim, the Mighty Creator
Psalm 139: David discusses God’s Perfect Knowledge of Man
Job 38-41: The Lord reveals His omnipotence to Job (and you and me). 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emonne Markland is a wife, mother, speaker and social media manager. She currently travels the country speaking at churches and purity conferences, including The Pink Lid. To have Emonne speak at your church or ministry, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment