I Couldn't Believe My Eyes!

Two days ago my husband and I decided to make a quick trip to the mall.  After making a couple of purchases we were ready to go home.  As we were walking out of the store, I noticed a security guard standing along the wall.  He seemed to be just taking a break, then suddenly without warning, everything changed.  I turned and looked back, only to see a man dash past me and my husband, and jump into a car that was waiting in front of the store.  Everything seemed to be going in slow motion.  It was as if we were watching a movie, but in reality we were witnessing a robbery in progress.   The man was attempting to steal a rack full of designer handbags, but he dropped the merchandise on his way out of the door, and he escaped empty handed.  I can still remember the wild look in the man's eyes as he escaped, and the look of despair on the security guards face as the man got away.  Everything happened so fast that there was no time to act!

So many things were going through my mind.  I couldn't believe my eyes.   A robbery in progress, and a getaway car waiting?  I had never seen anything like it.  I realized in that moment how the Lord had protected us.  Things could have gone a whole lot different.  How many times have we heard news reports of innocent bystanders who were hurt or even killed just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time?  Had it not been for the Lord's mercy, where would we be?

Just the day before, as I was opening my eyes for the day, I immediately thought about God's steadfast love and mercy over us, and how we can always count on His faithfulness.  He watches over us while we sleep, and He wakes us up each morning.  Without fail!  And when we have a relationship with God, we have a certain security in Him that we can't find anywhere else.  We can always rest in God's protection, and we have no need to fear.

It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not.  They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness.  Lamentations 3:22,23  


This experience reminds me of the importance of prayer, and how I can't start my day without it.  It reminds me that I can't afford to miss a day in God's Word.  Prayer keeps us alert, watchful, and in tuned spiritually.  On the morning of the robbery, I can remember when my alarm clock went off at 4:30 am for my 5:00 am prayer conference call.  I was so sleepy, and I really didn't feel like getting out of bed that day, but I did.  There were only three of us on the line, but we continued on in prayer.  And as usual, before ending our call we prayed a blessing over our day.  We could feel God's presence in a tangible way as we ended our call.  I'm so glad I took time to pray, because it set the course for my day.  Prayer really makes the difference.  

Can you recall a time when prayer made the difference in your day?

Blessings!

Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment