Where Is Your Expectation?

EXPECTATIONS...
Whether high or low, good or bad, realistic or unrealistic, we all have them. We have expectations of people, and people have expectations of us.  Expectations can be tricky, because if we expect too much of people, and too less of God, we will find ourselves discouraged and disappointed.  Because the end result of our expectations are ultimately determined by where we placed them.  Selah! Pause and think about it.        

  
Expectation is - the act or state of expecting.  It is to look forward to or anticipate something.  
  
Earlier this year I received an unexpected phone call from a longtime friend.  She proceeded to tell me how I had repeatedly hurt her over the past few years.  What?  Who me?  I was shocked by her words, and up to that point I was totally unaware that I had somehow been a source of pain in her life.  And after a lengthy conversation coupled with tears, we both came to the sad realization that our relationship may never be the same.


  Those who know me best, know that I'm a person of peace who  strives for healing and reconciliation within relationships; So I was determined to pray for understanding as I thoroughly searched my heart to see what part I played in this situation.  I concluded that there were no ill feelings in my heart towards my friend.  I knew that I loved her and would have never done anything to purposely cause her pain.  Yet I couldn't deny the fact that she was hurting.  


One day as I was pondering over what had happened, the light came on and suddenly I knew the root cause of the problem.  I realized that I had failed to meet my friend's expectations.  I had not produced what she wanted or expected of me as a friend.  And while I felt as though I had given my best effort in this relationship, somehow I still managed to fall short. 


As a young bride, I entered into my marriage with unrealistic expectations.  It wasn't long before I found myself facing one disappointment after another.  When I think back, I see how unfair I was to my husband.  After all, it wasn't his responsibility to fulfill the expectations I had built up in my mind of how married life would be.  Besides, my husband had no idea that I even had these thoughts and expectations.  


Through prayer, God has taught me how to stop putting my expectations in people, and instead put my expectations in Him.  Wow, what a difference!  Now whenever people do things for me that I wasn't expecting of them, it makes it all that much sweeter, and I am so thankful.       


David seems to have mastered this thing called EXPECTATION.  I love the following verse in Psalms because it is as if David is having a little talk with himself and declaring where his expectation lies.  
  

"My soul, wait silently for God alone, For my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation; I shall not be moved."  Psalm 62:5,6 



David was telling his mind, will, and emotions to settle down and wait quietly for the Lord, not man.  He knew God would come through and give him what he needed, because his expectation was from Him.  God alone was David's rock and his salvation. David knew who his source was.  


If we do what David did, and place our expectation in the Lord, our lives will cease to be plagued with the disappointments that often come from man.  No matter how good, strong, or well-meaning a person may be, it's unrealistic to think that they can fulfill our every expectation.  God alone must be our source of supply who gives us all we need.  


Rod Parsley, pastor of World Harvest Church in Columbus, Ohio says, "Expectancy is the breeding ground for miracles."  And oh how true that is, when our expectation is of the Lord.  When we look to Him, there's no room for disappointment.  He is able to do super abundantly, far above and beyond all that we can ask or even think.    


Can you think of a relationship or certain situation in your life that continues to be a source of frustration and disappointment? Is is possible that you have misplaced your expectations?  If so, here are a few steps you can take to help you to turn things around.



  • Release the person from what you expected of them, and place your expectation in God.

  • Keep your eyes on the Lord and your expectation high as you wait patiently on the God.

  • Rejoice as God supersedes your highest expectations! 




In His Love,

Kathy

2 comments:

  1. Kathy read a comment Linda Sugg Hulse sent about this blog:
    This is one of the best articles I have ever read regarding relationships. I sincerely believe the world would be a better place if we would just "get" this. Do yourself a favor and take the time to read it. ♥ (Thank you Sheri Powell for sharing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this with me. I hope that someone out there will be blessed/helped by this post. When a person understands this, it will greatly improve the quality of their life.

    ReplyDelete