How Do You Celebrate the Gift of Christmas?


When I was a little girl Christmastime was all about getting what I wanted. The television was flooded with commercials advertising all the latest toys. I looked through the ads in the Sunday paper, and flipped through the toy section of the big JC Penney’s and Sears catalogs trying to decide what I wanted; then I would make a list to give to my Mom. Does this sound familiar?                                                                          
I remember counting the days leading up to Christmas. By the time Christmas Eve arrived I could barely sleep for the excitement and anticipation of opening my presents. But somehow the thrill and excitement I felt on Christmas morning would only last for a short time.

As I began to grow in my relationship with Christ, I realized there was so much more to Christmas than exchanging gifts, decorating, baking cookies, and having big family dinners around the table. It's not about what we receive or give to others, but it’s what we can give back to God for His unspeakable gift.

Now that my focus and priorities are in the right place, Christmas has taken on a whole new meaning. Sure, I still enjoy the festivities of the season, but what I enjoy most is spending time in God's presence.

3 Spiritual Benefits of the Christmas Season
  • The Christmas season offers us a chance to pull away from the busyness of life to slow down and draw near to God and rekindle our intimacy with Him.
  • Christmastimes is a season to reflect on how good and faithful God has been throughout the year, which causes us to offer up praise and thanksgiving from a grateful heart.
  • Christmas is a time to gain direction and clarity by discovering God's will, plans, and purpose for the coming year. 

With prayer, fellowship, and worship our top priority, the Christmas season will be the most spiritually fulfilling time of the entire year.

When shopping, decorating, and other things are no longer the priority, and our mind and heart is set on seeking God first, we won't be frustrated if we run out of time to shop. We won't be concerned about finding the perfect gift, or the perfect outfit to wear to the Christmas party. Neither will we be burdened with debt because we've over spent.

With our heart and focus in the right place, we will truly experience Christmas in a special way, and we can bask in God’s glorious presence as we celebrate the gift of Christmas ~ Jesus.

Christmas is a celebration of God's great love.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life (John 3:16).

Christmas is a time to experience God's presence afresh.

Emmanuel ~ God with us. This is what Christmas is all about. So giving and receiving of presents is shouldn't be more important than experiencing God's presence. 

Things to Consider

Since God has freely given us love, may we love others. Not just at Christmastime, but always. 

Since God made the ultimate sacrifice by giving His Son to die for us, may we learn to offer our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God. This is our reasonable service and act of worship true unto Him (Romans 12:1).

Since God gave to us the gift of eternal life through His Son, may we give Him our time, talents, and treasures here on the earth, that He may be glorified throughout eternity. 

Will you step away from tradition or whatever is crowding your life durning this Holy season and experience the gift of Christmas?

How I Worship God During the Christmas Season

Each year I revisit the story of Christmas in Luke and Matthew chapters 1 and 2. I take time to ponder the events surrounding Jesus’ birth. What an amazing story! It comes to life each time I read it. I also select a Christmas devotional to read from my YouVersion Bible App. It helps me to focus on the true meaning of Christmas each day. And I always enjoy listening to Christmas music during my quiet time with the Lord. I choose songs which reflect true worship, like Oh Holy Night, Silent Night, and Joy to the Word. I can't help but sing along as my heart overflows in worship.

There are many ways to experience Christmas in a way that blesses the heart of God and brings peace and us peace and joy as well. We should never dread Christmas or allow feelings of sadness, loneliness or discouragement to set it.

The bible tells us, Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength (Nehemiah 8:10).

When we shift our focus from the wrong things, and turn our hearts towards Jesus, our prospective will change and we will truly enjoy the gift of Christmas.

How do you embrace the true meaning of Christmas? Please share.


I pray that you have a blessed and joyous Christmas in Him!


Love,

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment