The Waffle House Encounter


A few days ago, my husband invited me to join him on a three hour road trip that he had to take for business. We left early in the morning, leaving me with no opportunity to pray or read my bible, but I knew I would have plenty of time to read once we got on the road and arrived at our destination.



When we reached the meeting location, I dropped my husband off and decided to go for breakfast at a nearby restaurant. I had never eaten at Waffle House before and wondered if it was as good as my son had told me. With an hour or so to spare, I got my tote bag from the backseat and went inside. The restaurant looked much like something you might see in a movie. It was a small place that sat alongside the highway next to a gas station, and it appeared to be a favorite spot for the locals. Just as I stepped into the restaurant, a waitress called out to me and said, “Welcome! Take your seat anywhere you’d like.” From what I could see, there was only one clean table available in the dining area. It was in an undesirable location (right next to the bathroom) so I proceeded to look around the restaurant for another place to sit. The waitress, who must have seen me leaving her section, called out to me again and said, “Where ya going? Why are you leaving me?” Her words caught me by surprise. She seemed to really want me to stay in her section so she quickly cleaned off a nearby table and there I sat. With a warm smile on her face, she took my order and told me she would make a fresh pot of coffee. She was very pleasant and gave me the best customer service I've received in a long time, but I had no idea of what was about to transpire.

While I was waiting, I thought I'd catch up on my bible reading so I grabbed my bible from my tote bag and started to read. When the waitress returned, she looked at my bible and said, "Oh, you're reading Genesis? My favorite book is Job. I can really relate to Job because that's how my life has been." She opened up and began to share with me about her life and told me that she and her husband were homeless. She had just gotten the job at the restaurant and they decided to treat themselves to a motel for a night to avoid the high temperatures. With tears in her eyes she bent down and whispered, "If I come out will you meet me in the back and pray for me?"

Just days before this encounter, I prayed and asked God to set my heart ablaze so that I would have no other motivation to do what I do other than love. I met this special lady at the back of the restaurant and we joined hands while I prayed. The love of God and His compassion welled up inside of me as I prayed from my heart. When I finished the prayer we both wiped away our tears and hugged each other tightly. I paid my bill at the front counter and then took all that I had on me at the time and left it with a few scriptures on the table. The waitress had been watching me and noticed that I put something on the table. Our eyes met one more time before I left the restaurant as we smiled at one another and waved goodbye.

I couldn't solve this woman's problems, but what I did do was give her the best that I had to give. It reminds me of the story of Peter and John when they encountered the lame man who laid at the gate of the temple called Beautiful. The man was asking for alms, but Peter said, "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you..." (See Acts 3:6). Like Peter and John, I gave of what I had to give and that is all that God expects of us and He will take care of the rest. I gave my prayers, my love, my time, and my resources. God will go to great lengths to send help and encouragement to those He loves just when they need it the most. The man at the Beautiful gate received more than he asked for, and I believe the waitress at the Waffle House did too.  I believe with all my heart that because she asked for prayer, and nothing more, I believe that day was the beginning of God turning things around in her.  The work that He has started, He will continue to perform.  Not only was the waitress blessed, but so was I. 

Has God ever ordered your steps so that He could use you to help someone in need?  If not, are you willing to allow Him to start now?

Blessings!

Kathy 

11 comments:

  1. GIRL! This is the most awesome post I have read in a long time! God bless you and may the Lord God bless that waitress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm so glad you were blessed by this post. I continue to pray for the waitress, and if I don't see here again here on earth, I'll see her in heaven. :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, this is just awesome! What an amazing blessing for you and for the waitress. I love hearing how God works in such powerfully moving ways. It's weird that I've heard similar stories more often the past month...I can't help but wonder if God is opening my heart and my eyes to be aware of someone who I will cross paths with needing prayer. Thanks for sharing such a moving story.

    Blessings,
    Rosann
    http://www.christiansupermom.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rosann! Thank you for following my blog and for leaving a comment. I'm happy that you enjoyed this post. I think you're right, I believe God is preparing you such encounters. He loves to use us to be a blessing in others lives. This is such an exciting way to live...you just never know how God will use you to bless someone you encounter along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy. I posted a comment and somehow lost it at the end. This post blessed me.

    "I couldn't solve this woman's problems, but what I did do was give her the best that I had to give."
    -Kathy R. Green

    This jumped out at me. No matter where we are or who we encounter, we can ALWAYS offer Jesus.

    I'm anticipating the arrival of your book and I look forward to sharing my reflections on my blog.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Update:(Off Topic) My copy of "Pray-ers Bear Fruit" just arrived! The cover is SSOOOO vivid, and its Hardback! Thumbing through it, and looking forward to writing in my prayer journal as I read it.

    May God continue to bless the work of your hands Kathy!

    Blessings!
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anita, We can always offer Jesus can't we? And He is the greatest gift anyone could ever receive. I'm so glad that stood out to you.

    Also, I can't tell you how happy I am that your book has arrived and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Thank you for being willing to share it with others, and for your kind words as well. I really appreciate your comments. :)

    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Posted the Book in my "What I'm Reading" Tab (page) on my blog. Take a look and you will see how God brought your book into my life at the right time. I plan to blog about prayer journal-ing soon. I love it when God's plan comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anita, I'm honored that you have listed my book on your site. It looks lovely. :) What a blessing, thank you! If you'd like, you can list my website instead of my blog for a shorter url. It is www.KathyRGreen.com

    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete